Holiday Cutout Cookies Recipe photo by Taste of Home
HOLIDAY CUTOUT COOKIES RECIPE
The only limit to these fun cutouts is your cookie cutter collection and your imagination! If you prefer crisp cookies, sprinkle with colored sugar before baking and skip the frosting
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 5 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Food coloring of your choice, optional
- Assorted sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough into four portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate, covered, overnight or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. holiday cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough cream to reach a spreading consistency. If desired, beat in food coloring. Frost and decorate cookies as desired. Yield: about 10 dozen.
Peppermint Candy Cookies Recipe photo by Taste of Home
PEPPERMINT CANDY COOKIES RECIPE
Taking a cue from Star Mints, I created a buttery cookie with a holiday look. This one melts in your mouth faster than its candy cousin.
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green and red paste or gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour, salt and extract and mix well. Divide dough into four portions. Tint one portion green and one red; leave remaining portions plain.
- Divide each portion into thirds; shape each into a 6-in. log. Flatten into triangular logs, bending the top of one point slightly (to give finished cookies a pinwheel effect). Assemble one large roll by alternating three green and three plain logs. Wrap in plastic. Repeat with red and remaining plain dough. Refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Cut 6-in.-square pieces of cellophane or plastic wrap to wrap each cookie; twist ends securely or tie with a ribbon. Yield: about 4 dozen.